Those birds were on TV yesterday, flying around in huge flocks in Gujo Hachiman – a town in Gifu, a bit north of our country place. According to the announcer they were bramblings (アトリ in Japanese), which seemed about right, except that I thought they had a crest on their heads… Anyway they were flying around in these huge flocks – some 900,000 said the local expert – making an amazing whooshing noise. Our flock might not have been quite that big but there were certainly enough of them. Migrants from the Asian continent apparently, so we won’t be seeing any more for a while once they head back for the summer.
This is the avatar I use on various places on the web - you might possibly run into it somewhere.
- Good summary of pre-election politics in Japan. Commendably unhysterical about the JCP. twitter.com/nytimesworld/s… - posted 9 minutes ago
- “The Chinese bureaucrats [allegedly behind the move] have effectively demonstrated why it is incumbent on us to rei… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… - posted 25 minutes ago
- Whaat?! 3 months in police detention for letting off a firecracker! Have they been charged with any crime? twitter.com/action_sydney/… - posted 1 hour ago
- RT @DrewPavlou: The anti-war movement should be focusing its efforts protesting the warmongers in Beijing since they are the ones threateni… - posted 2 days ago
- RT @CoreyJWallace: Missed this, but very thorough on an increasingly important issue. twitter.com/GalicMirna/sta… - posted 2 days ago