Along with the cicadas, baseball from a radio somewhere is one of the sounds of Summer here; it started today and there’s nothing else on the TV or radio all afternoon, for the next couple of weeks. I really don’t remember anyone paying the slightest attention to a rugby or cricket match between a couple of schools back in the UK (maybe you could compare the University Boat Race?) but here it’s a big event with elimination rounds all round the country and everyone avidly follows the later matches and gets quite emotional. The losing team (and sometimes the winners too) usually burst into tears at the end. T loves it.
This is the avatar I use on various places on the web - you might possibly run into it somewhere.
- RT @Nihonpolitics: 🏥🦠Big blowback against PM Suga's plan of restricting hospitalization to very severe cases of Covid. Everyone else will h… - posted 8 hours ago
- RT @jakeadelstein: Naomi Osaka was a wonderful and hopeful choice to represent a possible new Japan. That’s hard for cranky old right-wing… - posted 8 hours ago
- RT @smaslow_japan: Recent history would suggest nothing else. The #Suga government does not consider keeping records on the government’s #C… - posted 1 day ago
- RT @JulesBoykoff: I spoke with @democracynow about how the #Tokyo2020 saga has exposed an International Olympic Committee that openly disre… - posted 1 day ago
- RT @jakeadelstein: Sometimes, when you ask a question that really get on someone’s nerves—this is their answer. My question to @AbeShinzo w… - posted 1 day ago