Along with the cicadas, baseball from a radio somewhere is one of the sounds of Summer here; it started today and there’s nothing else on the TV or radio all afternoon, for the next couple of weeks. I really don’t remember anyone paying the slightest attention to a rugby or cricket match between a couple of schools back in the UK (maybe you could compare the University Boat Race?) but here it’s a big event with elimination rounds all round the country and everyone avidly follows the later matches and gets quite emotional. The losing team (and sometimes the winners too) usually burst into tears at the end. T loves it.
This is the avatar I use on various places on the web - you might possibly run into it somewhere.
- RT @DanPriceSeattle: "I don't want $15 minimum wage because it'll be too close to what I make" "I don't want $600 a week unemployment for… - posted 2 hours ago
- "He Weifang, a renowned law professor at Peking University, wrote a long post on WeChat supporting the restrictions… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… - posted 3 hours ago
- We in the west need to stand up for what we believe, if we want to keep the lifestyle we now enjoy. "one must unde… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… - posted 4 hours ago
- Masked defiance - To show support for democracy, some Hong Kongers don yellow masks | China | The Economist economist.com/china/2021/01/… - posted 4 hours ago
- RT @smotus: Two presidencies today Biden: "Here's my plan for getting the Covid vaccine distributed quickly and rebuilding the economy."… - posted 6 hours ago